The best manufacturing innovation since the 1860s sewing machine.
What is 3D-Knitting?
3D-knitting machines create completely seamless garments that are made as one continuous knit and don't require either cutting or sewing.
Removing cutting eliminates wasted fabric. Removing sewing eliminates error, bulk, and even the need for inventory.
||CUT & SEW|
|COMFORT||Forms to your body.||Irritating seams interfere with stretch/fit.|
|WEIGHT||10% lighter without seams.||Reinforced stitching is heavy|
|DURABILITY||360° stretch + no faulty seams.||Error-prone stitching = tears.|
|SUSTAINABILITY||<1% waste.||21% waste.|
|TECHNOLOGY||Future of knitwear.||Century-old, but improving.|
Why use 3D-knitting?
3D-knitting creates more durable, versatile, sustainable knitwear because:
- Without seams, 3D-knitting produces garments with superior durability.
- The finesse of 3D-knitting machines adjusts every stitch for ideal style/fit.
- At 99% efficiency, 3D-knitting is far more sustainable than cut-and-sew.
We imagine a future where we switch to producing only what we need, when we need it, and nothing more. Through 3D-knitting, on-demand production is possible. We imagine it would work like this:
- After careful consideration, you order a comfortable 3D-knit sweater.
- Our 3D-knitwear partners in Brooklyn get pinged the details.
- The 3D-knitting machine starts its engine and knits your sweater.
- After seamlessly knitting your sweater, it’s plucked and beautifully packaged.
- Without ever sitting as inventory, the sweater is off to become your go-to.
VALUE TO THE PLANET
3D-knitting requires less raw material, produces less waste, and opens the door to an inventory-less future. 3D-knitting plays an important sustainability role because 35% (36 billion lbs) of material in the global supply chain ends up as waste.
The numbers speak for themselves. According to Tailored Industry, one of the leading 3D-knitting manufacturers in the United States, their 3D knitting approach reduces CO2 emissions by 50%. It also reduces their electrical usage by 43% and their material waste by 93%.