Click to Become an OC Field Tester

OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

Subscribe below for weekly updates on the absurdity of the business and financial world. We spend all day on social media so you don't have to.

It's February 17th, 2021.

If you're one of the 205 people living in Adair, Illinois, it's variably cloudy with scattered snow showers. You can expect a high of 15 with easterly winds blowing at 5 to 10 mph. A 40% chance of snow means you have a 60% chance of a dry hump day.

Last week's newsletter had a 61.6% open rate, just 7.4% shy of our goal. Unsurprisingly, the most loved meme was a comparison between a yak and Hugh Jackman.

The big stories this week are:

  • Good news on the covid front
  • Texas freezes
  • Bitcoin hits $50k
  • Keith Gill is testifying in congress
  • Should you take your dog to the vet?
OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

1.49 million vaccines are being given a day!

Finally, vaccinations are trending up, and new cases are trending down, bringing us just a little closer to that light at the end of the tunnel. At the rate of 1.5 million doses a day, all 328 million Americans could be inoculated by September. Although, given that only 49% of adults in the US are willing to get vaccinated, at that same rate, everyone that wants a vaccine should be able to get at least one dose by April. The question is will that be enough for things to return to normal? Hopefully it is... so start hitting the in-home gym and eating right cause the hot boy/girl/non-binary summer we've all been dreaming of since March of 2020 might not be such a pipe dream.

Find out how to get vaccinated >>
OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

Dallas Texas was colder than Anchorage Alaska.

A deep freeze and snowstorms hammered parts of the United States that generally never see snow or freezing temperatures. The extreme weather caused significant problems for Texas's energy grid, leaving millions without heat while experiencing below-freezing temperatures. The 10 Texans that ordered an Oliver Charles sweater remained slightly warmer.

Check out this picture of Austin >>
OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

$50,584.85

For a brief moment, around 4:30 am Pacific on February 16th, 2021, Bitcoin crossed the $50k mark. It touched $50,584.85 before pulling back to around $48k for the day. Twitter was promptly flooded with tweets from Bitcoiners graciously letting the rest of the world know how rich they could have been. What's driving this surge? It's in part attributed to companies like Tesla adding Bitcoin to their balance sheet. It may also be due to the retail investor frenzy and the ease of buying the currency. However, some believe that Bitcoin could eventually overtake the USD as the reserve currency. With the Biden Administration on the verge of passing a 1.9 trillion dollar stimulus package, investors are looking for inflation-proof assets. Bitcoin fits the bill nicely, given that it's both limited in supply and decentralized.

The problem with putting Bitcoin on the balance sheet >>
OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

Who's Keith Gill? 

It was announced on Tuesday, that a House Financial Services Committee hearing about the GameStop trading frenzy is scheduled for Feb. 18. One of those being called to testify is Keith Gill. Unlike most people called before The House, Keith is not a big Wall St. personality, a high-profile CEO, or a government official. He's just regular guy who put his life savings into GameStop and led a pseudo revolution against Wall St. At one point, Keith, aka "deepfuckingvalue", aka "roaringkitty", had "profited" more than $50 million.

He also lost $13M in one day >>
OLIVER CHARLES - The New Yak Times - Business And Financial News Using Memes

Spare no expense for my CoCo.

50% of American's spend the same amount or more on their pets’ healthcare than they do their own. Universal pet healthcare is something we can all get behind, right? The pet industry is staggeringly large, growing to $99 billion in 2020, a year when there were actual puppy shortages. There are over 135M dogs and cats in the US alone, and only 2.1% of pets are insured. When are we going to see the Lemonade for pets?

Thanks for reading, please share. 

If you found this Morning Brown funny, we'd appreciate it if you forwarded it to a friend or colleague. If you did not find it funny, we'd appreciate it if you forwarded it to an enemy or colleague. Meme credit is due to the following accounts. If I missed someone, let us know!

@jamiewithorne

@theonion

@doggosdoingthings

@finmemeassociates

Finally, please send us memes!

Subscribe below for weekly updates on the absurdity of the business and financial world. We spend all day on social media so you don't have to.